Susana Viera Multiple Sclerosis Foundation Transportation Voucher Program
Helping Hands Transportation Program
Through various donations and funding sources, The Susana Viera Multiple Sclerosis Foundation has established a transportation voucher program called Helping Hands. Helping Hands will assist wheelchair-bound/disabled individuals with Multiple Sclerosis or another related neurological/movement disorder, the ability to expand their transportation options. The goal of the Helping Hands Transportation Program is to promote independence and self-determination.
To qualify for the Helping Hands Transportation Program, all applicants must go through an eligibility determination process. The process consists of submitting an application and a medical certification form. The medical certification must be completed by the applicant’s primary care physician and confirm the diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis or a related neurological/movement disorder such as Machado-Joseph’s Disease. The Board members will review applications and will decide eligibility. Funding of the Helping Hands Transportation Program is limited and eligibility will be granted to applicants on a first come first served basis. A determination will be rendered within 30 days of receipt of a completed application and medical certification.
Once eligibility has been confirmed, participation in the Helping Hands Transportation Program is subject to the following terms and conditions:
- Vouchers may be used for transportation for: Non-medical appointments, Transport not covered by health insurance/MassHealth/Medicare/etc., Family events i.e. reunions, funerals, weddings, etc., Shopping, Recreation
- There is a limit of 4 one way vouchers per year per eligible participant
- Each voucher covers a maximum of 20 miles
- The eligible participant is responsible to directly contact the provider and schedule their own transportation. Transportation must be scheduled 2 business days in advance with the provider. Pre-approval by vendor is required
- Picture identification must be presented to the provider at the time of pick up to confirm identity
- Vouchers are to be used for eligible participants and are not transferable to non-eligible individuals. One caregiver is allowed to accompany the participant during transport if required
The approved provider for Helping Hands Transportation Program is:
640 State Road
North Dartmouth, MA 02747
Phone: (508) 889-2287
Designated Helping Hands Coordinator: