The Susana Viera Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, Inc. Scholarship
(6) $500.00 scholarships will be awarded to six high school seniors who are currently attending a high school in the city/towns of New Bedford, Freetown, Berkeley, Acushnet, Dighton, Marion, Wareham, Rochester, Dartmouth, Westport, Fall River and Fairhaven
The Susana Viera Multiple Sclerosis Foundation was co-founded by Susana P. Viera, a bilingual Nurse Practitioner, who was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2010. One year later she along with a group of dedicated family, friends and health care professionals founded the organization. Its mission is to educate and provide support and health care services to the English and Portuguese speaking communities of Southeastern Massachusetts affected by Multiple Sclerosis and other neurological diseases. Through a number of annual fundraising events we are able to support the National MS Society New England Chapter’s MS Walk Dartmouth, support students interested in using their degrees to help those living with MS via this scholarship fund, and fund a voucher transportation program for those living with MS to increase socialization and independence. We encourage you to apply if you meet the following criteria:
- This application must contain accurate and detailed information; and must be accompanied by an official transcript of Scholastic Record.
- Eligibility requirements: Any graduating senior who is seeking an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university (Engineering, Computer Science, Medical/Nursing, or Social Services Field).
- Include a copy of your acceptance letter from an accredited college or university. If you have not received your letter, you will be required to submit it prior to the release of the scholarship check if you are chosen as a recipient of the scholarship.
- Include a typed essay of 250 words or less on how your field of study will be beneficial to people who have Multiple Sclerosis or beneficial to those who have loved ones affected by the disease.
Scholarship winners will be notified by the deadline posted on our website. The winning students along with one parent each, will be invited to receive their award at the Annual Susana Viera Multiple Sclerosis Foundation Fundraising Event.